Sonntag, 11. November 2007

Random Thoughts Pt 2: Me, Myself & Hip Hop Pt1

How come that no other music touches and gives me as much as Hiphop does? Maybe because no other music genre has such a great culture to back it up..
I still remember that time I fell in love with this thing called HipHop, not head over heels but slowly..like in a good relationship where every day u learn something new about ur partner that amazes you.. I love it more every day and there´s no way I could live without it..
Maybe because Hiphop is so much more than just music..so much more than what the rasio gives you…so much realer than pop music that sings about a world that doesn't really exist..
I admire Hiphops different arts so much..I still remember how I picked up my first magazine that had Graffiti in it and how amazed I was by it, so raw, in your face but at the same time truly beautiful..I love hiphop because it has its reasons for being here.. not just making money.. but being rebellious in a time where people do and say anything to get "money and the power"… Hiphop means being different, think outside the box.. although that might sound crazy at a time where rap music is so involved in our daily lives.. you see it on tv, commercials, ppl on the street wearing hiphop clothes with techno music comin out their headphones.. and that's just because the industry made hiphop a trend, a trend like boybands used to be, a trend they use to grab childrens pocket money..
I don't want the love of my life to be a trend.. I miss the days when ppl gave u crazy looks when they saw you in baggy clothes..where ppl thought it was cool to listen to brainless pop music.. the rap they play on the radio today has turned into pop music… to me rap cannot be called hiphop unless it has a meaning.. something to connect it with the culture.. all that sounding the same, senseless, money hoes & clothes talk is nothing but pop music with a different look..
And that's where the contradiction starts.. I do understand that a lot of rap artists in the states come from backgrounds that you wouldn't call the good life.. that they are happy to have a talent they can make money give to get out of the lifestyle they were forced to live before. I do know that for a lot of these kids the thought of making the big money is all that counts and they might not even be familiar with the culture Hiphop, but with the benefits the mainstream rap scene has to offer.
Its easy for me to sit here and say they sold out our culture.. I love hiphop. And I love soulful rap. I do not like senseless music, no matter if rap or any other genre.. And I hate when people with no clue hear that "drop down to the floor" bullshit and think that's what hiphop is all about. It makes the culture look bad.. Now should we hate the rappers for making those songs or the industry that tells them that's the type of music they have to make to get paid.
I admire the thousands of soulful MCs out there that might not make as much money as the Rapper in the top ten, but do what they love and do it to keep Hiphop alive.
To be continued..

Keine Kommentare: