Sonntag, 11. November 2007

Random Thoughts Pt1: For DILLA




For Dilla



It took a while for me to sit down and do this..maybe because it took me so long to realize that he really is gone.
And maybe its good to write this after some time has passed since J.Dillas death, just to make sure people don't forget about him and his work.
Hiphop has lost a great artist. The world has lost a great man. People with such a dedication for music are rare. And that's the thing I admire the most about him. He had so much love in his heart for Hiphop that he would not even let his illness stop him from doing what he loved to do. How many people can say they have such a strong dedication for anything? I thought I did. I always thought I had as much love for hiphop in my heart as possible. Now I´m not sure anymore. As I´m writing this his beats are playin on my headphones. And it makes me sad knowing that there wont be another Dilla record. We can only imagine how much further he would´ve went with hiphop. Where he would've taken us.
Every beat he made, song he produced could take you on a journey. You can listen to his songs for hours, play them again and again just trying to figure out what sounds he used, how he even came up with the concept. I can only wonder how it must be to work with him in the studio. I wish I could tell him how thankful I am for all those songs he made that still put smiles on my face… timeless music, far from the mainstream because his sounds are too complex for the untrained ear…
The funny thing is..I was a fan of his music long before I had even heard his name… songs like ATCQ´s "find a way" or Pharcyde´s "Drop" that are still in my list of favourites.. and then that unique Slum Village sound I always loved.. He has inspired and touched so many people without them knowing it.
Hiphop will not recover from it´s loss because there will be no other Dilla. He changed Hiphop and people. But it will also forever benefit from his work. His work wont be lost or forgotten. And that's that one thing that makes me smile the same second I feel the pain in my heart when I think about his death. He blessed us with another masterpiece before he left and I thank him for that. "The Shining" will keep his name alive and the heads nodding.
And who knows..He´s probably up in the clouds with his MPC doing what he did best..

Keine Kommentare: