Sonntag, 11. November 2007

Random Thoughts Pt 4: My beef with down south rap

My beef with down south rap is officially over! I´ve been spending too much time being mad at the south. That just causes way too much negative energy.. so it has to stop.. I´ve been thinking a lot and I decided that down south rap isn't as bad as I have made it sound lately. Yes the lyrics make no sense. But hell, Hip hop is supposed to be an open minded culture and it is about celebration as well as speaking the truth. There´s space for everyone in Hiphop so lets stop all the hate across the coasts. I like to party too, and I have to say I enjoy a good beat to dance to when I´m at a club. So down south music, I thank u for that. (ok, that wasn't so hard)
Believe it or not but there was a time where I would listen to a 3-6 mafia record without my conscience poking me…I used to not put so much thought into it.. Until the big hype came. And I´ve always been the kind of person to push any kind of hype from me.. If the masses love it, I don't want it anymore.. I know that's a very silly, and also close minded way of thinking, but I wanna be real with ya´ll.. I mean, that's how I always felt, because I didn't wanna be part of the mainstream crowd. So when the hype came..i ran.. Now, thinking about it, it makes me feel dumb. If you like something, you like it no matter if the ppl around u do. I´ve made the experience that that's how a lot of underground hiphop fans are. Like this constant discussion about who turned mainstream or sold out. Yes, there are ppl that changed for better sales, that didn't stay true to themselves. To me that's the negative mainstream artist, and I cant really respect that. But lets take somebody like Jay-Z, he has the talent, people just LOVE his music, that's why he sells a lot of records. Does that make him or his music bad? (I´ll just leave this an open question for you to think about)
Now back to the subject.. Down South Rap.. The dirty dirty.. I believe people down there love the music they make. It might not be deep or meaningful, but to them its all they have. Maybe that's reason enough to give them a chance. Nobody is gonna force you to listen to their rap. So why not just accept them, and their place in Hip Hop? It wont hurt. And it will save you a lot of negative energy. I know I´m building contradictions here, looking at my other blogs. But see, I´m just trying to bring peace to my world, my world where Hip Hop is the sun that keeps everything alive, the rain that quenches my thirst and makes trees grow…(yeah, I´m getting corny, I can tell I´ve been drinking wine..lol)
I don't wanna hate anymore. Why waste time with it? As long as I´m in these 4 walls I call my own I will play whatever I wanna play..and for the most part that's gonna be "conscious rap" and neo soul.. and when I feel like getting my dance on and party I´ll let the Djs at the clubs play some of that dirty dirty for me.. And I´ll enjoy both to the fullest. I got respect for ya´ll….its all love

Keine Kommentare: